MME Plus Licensure
Master of Music Education Plus Licensure (MME+)
Individuals who have completed an undergraduate degree in music and who want to qualify for a Colorado K-12 Music Teaching License while completing a graduate degree may apply to the Master of Music Education Plus Licensure degree program (MME+). The MME+ program requires approximately 40 hours of licensure course work, in addition to the 30 hours required for the Masters degree. Students also must demonstrate that they have completed the equivalent liberal arts and music courses required for a BME degree at the University of Colorado. If course equivalency requirements are not met, additional hours of course work may be required. Typically, students take 2-3 years (including summers) to complete the MME+ degree, though it is possible to complete the licensure requirements prior to completing all requirements for the Masters degree.
Requirements for K-12 Colorado Music Teaching License
- Conducting I and II – 4 hrs.
- Piano/Voice Classes – 3-4 hrs.
- Vocal Pedagogy and Literature – 2 hrs.
- Instrument Technique Classes – 3-7 hrs.
- Music Education Methods Classes – 8-11 hrs.
- Music Education Electives – 4 hrs.
- Professional Seminars in Education- 6 hrs.
- Educational Psychology – 3 hrs.
- Early Field Experience – 2 hrs.
- Student Teaching – 9 hrs.
Total = 48 hours*
*Note: 9 credit hours required for licensure may apply to the MME degree.
MME+ Admission Requirements
- Graduate School Application and Application Fee
- Undergraduate Transcripts (2 official copies per school)
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0* and BME degree or equivalent
- 4 current letters of recommendation should address academic potential, teaching skills, musicianship, and character
- Professional Resume (1-2 pages)
- Two Written Essays
- Professional Goals Statement (500-700 words)
- Position Statement on a Critical Issue (750-1000 words)
- Live or videotaped demonstration of teaching (assistantship applicants only)
- Interview with music education faculty (optional; may be requested by faculty)
*Note: Applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 must submit a GRE scores to be considered for admission.